Friday, June 17, 2011

TGIF!

I arrived for my daily session right on time, as usual. And, as usual, I had something sarcastic to add as I walked into the radiation room. For some reason, she took my "crispy fried chicken" comment seriously today and went to get the doc after looking at the area. A few minutes later the doc came strolling in with what looked like a ukulele around his neck. Maybe not a ukulele, but I can't think of the name of that other small guitar. It was on the tip of my tongue.....I tried googling, but I still can't come up with the name. Dang chemo brain still plagues me! As he strummed, he looked at the area and then looked at the tech and said, "looks good". Not sure what she said at that point, but I decided to chime in with "no more bolus, right?". I guess he agreed, because he looked back at her and said, "no more bolus". She smiled and said, "that's why I came to get you." So, a little good news for this Friday........no more bolus, dangit!
So, now that I've told you that story, it occurred to me that you might not have any idea what I'm talking about. What the heck is a bolus? And, why can I remember the name of this stupid matt that is burning the crap out of me and not that little guitar thingy?

Bolus, a flabby, rubbery material, is used to 'fool' the radiation beam so it will deposit the maximum dose on the skin surface instead of a fraction of an inch deeper, as it would otherwise. Therefore, a skin reaction is almost inevitable in this scenario.

Ok, now you can find new ways to add your new vocabulary word into conversation. And, on that note, I think I'll sign off and go enjoy the current feeling of being able to fry an egg on my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment