Thursday, June 2, 2011

Nuclear Disaster?

Soooooo, after my radiation treatment yesterday I saw my radiation oncologist. He looked at the area that seems to be blistering and called for the nurse to come in. He must have decided he didn't see it too well, so he took out his glasses and looked again - kinda made me a little nervous. He then told me he wanted to see me again tomorrow to check it because he was pretty sure it was from the treatments, but he wanted to make sure it wasn't shingles. Nice. Of course, I'm pretty sure it's not shingles, but whateva! After the last 7-8 months of torture, shingles doesn't scare me. The nurse then gave me a handful of packets and an instruction sheet and told me I needed to do compresses 2-3 times a day. Ok, I can handle that, thanks. So, last night, after catnapping off and on for far too long, I poured one of the packets in a measuring cup and put the right amount of water in and sat down to use my compress. My handy dandy tablet was sitting on the table next to my chair so I decided to ask Dr. Google a quick question. Just wanted to know what was in this little packet that seemed very generic. All the other packets had colorful brand names, so this black and white one seemed very "government issue" to me. Anyway, I typed in Aluminum Sulfate Tetradecahydrate Calcium Acetate Monohydrate and then clicked on one of the sites. Up pops the pic that I posted here. As I was sitting there with the compress solution on me, I decided I didn't want to know much more about why a company that makes a pill to protect you from a nuclear disaster is advertising on a site that explains what the solution in my compress is. 'Nuff said!

So, today is number 17 and that should put me at about the halfway point. I asked the doc again yesterday how many total and both docs have been a bit vague when they answer this. He told me 28 regular and 6-7 boost, but didn't seem too clear on the boost part. Kinda feels like I'm taking a survey when I ask this question. They have been taking xrays once a week since I started and I meant to ask what they do with these, but I forgot. I will have to try to remember to ask him that today. I know, I should write it down, everyone tells me that. Then I forget to bring the list I wrote down......and so goes my days! Will she remember? Or, won't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment